The German Township Volunteer Fire Department began fire service for the people of German Township in 1959. Back then, the department consisted of just a few dedicated volunteers who helped build the equipment they would use to battle fires.
The first fire house was originally built in 1959 as a two bay fire station on Kasson Drive. Today those two bays remain with an addition of another bay and meeting room with sleeping quarters for the volunteers. In 1959, the building was constructed with two garage doors that measure 8 feet wide and 10 feet high. Unfortunately, what served us well then is limiting what we can do today. Those aforementioned garage doors severely limit the size and type of fire truck that can be put in those bays which is one of the driving factors for the station’s current renovation project.
In 1966, there was an additional bay added which included space for three fire trucks. Today that same space would only fit two fire trucks.
In 1973, a meeting room area was added and in 1996 it was converted to living quarters for the volunteer firefighters. It has been two years since the standby program has been initiated and there have been only two occasions in which there was not a crew of volunteer firefighters available to immediately respond from the station to the citizens emergency.
A Pumper that was purchased in 1974 would fit in the bays doors with 4 inches to spare on the top and about the same amount on each side. Subsequent fire trucks purchased since 1974 won’t even fit in those doors. This creates additional challenges for putting the fire apparatus away as well as when the trucks pull out of the station. One slight misjudgment on the part of the driver and the fire station and fire truck are both damaged. This has occurred over the years on several occasions resulting in a delay in responding to the emergency. Fortunately, this past summer’s renovation should prevent this from happening again
Photo above: Members pose beside our “new” truck in 1973. Pictured from left to right are (back row) Lester Garrett, Emil Seipert, Larry Clem, Jerry Compton, (front row) John Hamrick and John Buckman